Posted by Lambchop
Really, you just cannot make this stuff up. Charles Murray has written a book about the bubble in which the “new upper class” has chosen to reside – causing a “class” gap between rich and poor. No, the title IS NOT The Preppie Handbook for Aging Liberal Elitist Assholes.
The book includes a quiz (below) to determine just how elitist you are. I will not bore you with the scoring details, but it is safe to say the more “nos” you rack up, the more snobbish you are - so go ahead, grab a Merlot, dust off your Ipad, have a little nosh and thank your good karma for never having to deal with the great unwashed who fish, pray and eat at Waffle House. Poor Bastards.
Coming Apart, The State of White America 1960-2010 by Charles Murray (The Crown Publishing Group)
How Thick Is Your Bubble? A new upper class that makes decisions affecting the lives of everyone else but increasingly doesn’t know much about how everybody else lives is vulnerable to making mistakes.
1. Have you ever lived for at least a year in an American neighborhood in which the majority of your 50 nearest neighbors probably did not have college degrees?
2. Did you grow up in a family in which the chief breadwinner was not in a managerial job or a high-prestige profession (deﬁned as attorney, physician, dentist, architect, engineer, scientist, or college professor)?
3. Have you ever lived for at least a year in an American community under 50,000 population that is not part of a metropolitan area and was not where your college was located?
4. Have you ever lived for at least a year in the United States at a family income that was close to or below the poverty line? You may answer "yes" if your family income then was below $30,000 in 2010 dollars. Graduate school doesn't count. Living unemployed with your family after college doesn't count.
5. Have you ever walked on a factory ﬂoor?
6. Have you ever held a job that caused something to hurt at the end of the day?
7. Have you ever had a close friend who was an evangelical Christian?
8. Do you now have a close friend with whom you have strong and wide-ranging political disagreements?
9. Have you ever had a close friend who could seldom get better than Cs in high school even if he or she tried hard?
10. During the last month, have you voluntarily hung out with people who were smoking cigarettes?
11. What military ranks do these ﬁve insignia represent?
12. Choose one. Who is Jimmie Johnson? Or: Have you ever purchased Avon products?
13. Have you or your spouse ever bought a pickup truck?
14. During the last year, have you ever purchased domestic mass-market beer to stock your own fridge?
15. During the last ﬁve years, have you or your spouse gone ﬁshing?
16. How many times in the last year have you eaten at one of the following restaurant chains? Applebee's, Wafﬂe House, Denny's, IHOP, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Ruby Tuesday, T.G.I. Friday's, Ponderosa Steakhouse.
17. In secondary school, did you letter in anything?
18. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club or Rotary Club, or a meeting at a union local?
19. Have you ever participated in a parade not involving global warming, a war protest, or gay rights?
20. Since leaving school, have you ever worn a uniform?
21. Have you ever ridden on a long-distance bus (e.g., Greyhound,Trailways) or hitchhiked for a trip of 50 miles or more?
22. Which of the following movies have you seen (at a theater or on a DVD)? Iron Man 2, Inception, Despicable Me, Tron Legacy, True Grit, Clash of the Titans, Grown Ups, Little Fockers, The King's Speech, Shutter Island.
23. During the 2009-10 television season, how many of the following series did you watch regularly? American Idol, Undercover Boss, The Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, House, Desperate Housewives, Two and a Half Men, The Ofﬁce, Survivor.
24. Have you ever watched an Oprah, Dr. Phil, or Judge Judy show all the way through?
25. What does the word Branson mean to you?