Posted By LambChop
For some reason, the identity theft committed by the majority of illegal immigrants has been largely ignored in the immigration reform debate. There seems to be a level of acceptance that illegal immigrants are somehow “undocumented” (they are not - they have illegal documents), and that the type of ID theft they commit is somehow a minor infraction constituting a victimless crime.
It is impossible to work in the United States without documents. Social Security cards, Green Cards, Birth Certificates, and Drivers Licenses are on the list for the top types of forged documents used by illegal immigrants.
Illegal immigrants are schooled to commit identity fraud one way – “Social Security number only” fraud. They simply steal or make- up a Social Security number and use their own name. Of course, there is a 50% chance that a made -up SSN has or will be issued to a legal citizen born in the United States. Social Security fraud automatically leads to other multiple frauds – Driver’s License fraud, false I-9 forms, etc.
According to the Center for Immigration Studies Backgrounder report from 2009, identity theft is primarily committed for employment.
- Experts suggest that approximately 75% of working-age illegal aliens use fraudulent Social Security cards to obtain employment.
- 98% of Social Security number (SSN) thieves use their own names with stolen numbers.
- States with the most illegal immigration also have high levels of job-related identity theft. Arizona 33% of identity theft is job-related (as opposed to identity theft motivated simply by greed); Texas 27%; New Mexico 23%;Colorado 22%;California 20%; Nevada 16%.
- Children are prime targets for illegal’s’ ID theft. For example in Utah, 1,626 companies were found to be paying wages to the SSNs of children on public assistance under the age of 13 who suffered horrible consequences later in their lives.
- Illegal aliens commit felonies in order to get jobs
- Illegally employed aliens send multiple billions of dollars annually to their home countries, rather than spending it in the United States.
- Government bureaucracies don’t take any action to stop the fraud. The Social Security Administration assigns SSNs to new-born infants that are being used illegally. The IRS demands that fraud victims pay taxes on wages earned by illegal aliens using their stolen SSNs. In 2007, identity theft cases represented only 7 percent of the total ICE case load.