Posted By LambChop
Living up to every possible stereotype, the geek world continues to turn on its own access. Overpaid and undersocialized, male geeks are riddled with the inability to spell, eternal pallid countenances and a fantasy-based misogyny that results from too many hours in front of a screen and not enough face-to-face time with an actual female.
Case in point:
Evvnt.com advertised for a developer position proficient in Ruby. Richard Green, the CEO and founder of the company, posted list of potential perks on a London Ruby Usergroup website. Here it is in full:
Let me know which of the following would tempt you from you desk...
- Keg of beer and beer tap fitted to your development desk?
- The recruitment fee as your welcome gift?
- 4 day week?
- Building your own team of 4 from scratch
- Shares and equity (so dull)
- Commission from online sales.
- An endless jar of Cadbury chocolate eclairs...
- 4X female french, italian and spanish junior / front and backend developers
- Your own Expresso [sic] coffee machine with frothy milk maker...
- 30 days paid holiday if taken in December and August.
Awesome – chicks from France and Spain are offered up as easily as frothy milk and a box of Cadbury éclairs. Maybe they can fetch the beer and éclairs for the male developers dressed up in French Maid’s outfits? I guess this means that only males and lesbians should apply for this position?
Green responded to some of the subsequent criticism claiming he meant this: "We are an equal opportunities employer and our team contains people from a variety of countries, backgrounds and genders."
He responded to other critics stating that "We simply welcome female developers and indeed developers from all nationalities. Mostly to date the developer world does feel very male."
Later, Green added an apology to their website:
Finding the right tone in ‘text’ is never easy, even harder when your have no relationship with your audience… today we start.